How to Report Tax Fraud | ATG Accountants & AdvisorsHow to Report Tax Fraud | ATG Accountants & Advisors

Our blog

February 19, 2014

If You…ThenAnd
… suspect or know of an individual or a business that is not complying with the tax laws on issues such as

  • False Exemptions or Deductions
  • Kickbacks
  • False/Altered Document
  • Failure to Pay Tax
  • Unreported Income
  • Organized Crime
  • Failure to Withhold

Use Form 3949-A,
Information ReferralCAUTION: Do NOTuse Form 3949-A to report the  issues below
Print the form and mail to:

  • Internal Revenue Service
  • Fresno, CA 93888

If you do not wish to use Form 3949-A, you may send a letter to the address above. Please include as much information as possible, such as these important points:

  1. Name and Address of person or business you are reporting
  2. The individual’s social security number or the business’ employer identification number
  3. A brief description of the alleged violation(s), including how you became aware or obtained information about  the violation(s)
  4. The years involved
  5. The estimated dollar amount of any unreported income
  6. Your name, address and telephone number*

*Although you are not required to identity yourself, it is helpful to do so. Your identity will be kept confidential.

…suspect someone stole your identity and used your SSNfor employment purposes or could use your SSN to file a tax return

Use Form 14039*

*Spanish version:Form 14039SP

Complete the form online, print it and mail or fax to the appropriate office using the options listed on page 2 of the form. Include photocopies of at least one of the documents listed on the form to verify your identity.  For additional information, refer to the Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft
…suspect fraudulent activity or an abusive tax scheme by a tax return preparer or tax preparation companyUse Form 14157**

**Form 14157-A (see below) may also be required

You may complete the form online, print it and mail it to the IRS address on the form.
…suspect  a tax return preparer filed a return or altered your return without your consent and you are seeking a change to your accountUse  Form 14157


Form 14157-A

Send BOTH forms (Form 14157 and Form 14157-A) to the address shown in the Instructions for Form 14157-A.
…suspect an abusive tax promotion or promoter



Use Form 14242The form can be mailed or faxed to the IRS address or fax number on the form.
…suspect misconduct or wrongdoing by an exempt organization or employee planUse Form 13909Mail it to the address provided on the form.
…have information and want to claim a rewardUse Form 211Mail it to the address in the Instructions for the form.
…suspect you received or are aware of fraudulent IRS

e-mails and websites

Please let us know! See our Phishing web page.




Leave a reply
Back to top